Known for his realistic landscapes for his homeland, Li Mei-shu was one of Taiwan's most outstanding painters in the Western style. After graduating from the Taipei Normal School in 1928, Li went to Japan to study at the Tokyo Fine Arts School. After returning to Taiwan, he founded the Taiyang Fine Arts Association and China Oil Painting Association with a group of artists. Li's works have been selected for the Taiwan Provincial Fine Arts Exhibition in 1935. He was a professor for many years at the National Taiwan Academy of Arts, Chinese Culture University and National Taiwan Normal University. He died in 1983. His memorial museum was opened in 1990 in San-shia.